Part of my Half-Life Fact Files series:
This is a full playthrough of the Half-Life PS2 port demo included in the PlayStation Underground Jampack Summer 2002 disc.
Unlike the Uplink demo for Half-Life commonly available on the PC, this PS2 console port demo is unique in that it features a trimmed down selection of the game’s early chapters, namely Anomalous Materials, Unforeseen Consequences, Office Complex, and “We’ve Got Hostiles”. A few areas also underwent modifications to create some different gameplay encounters.
Time codes straight to the interesting stuff:
– Controls screen (1:13)
– Anomalous Materials begins mid-chapter in test chamber control room (1:24)
– New text messages are displayed on-screen in lieu of a tutorial (2:13, 7:34, 8:47, 10:47, 12:00)
– Unforeseen Consequences ends early at drainage tunnel hatch (21:02)
– Office Complex begins mid-chapter after electrified hallway (21:17) and ends early before cafeteria (32:11)
– Box climbing puzzle removed, changing the entire vent and ceiling area (23:57)
– “We’ve Got Hostiles” extremely cut down (33:07)
– Osprey at the surface replaced with boss Apache finale encounter, Rocket Launcher included early to fight it (35:50)
– Low violence mode is enabled, removing blood splats and causing gibbed enemies to fade away instead (18:42, 19:28, 34:28)